A smart and simple solution to know important information from the field
Some farmers have collected information for years on paper and then entered it in a spreadsheet back at home, or tried to find that information again in endless notebooks. Many others saw this as too time-consuming, it just wasn’t worth it! With our system that is no longer true - it is now so quick to collect information that it is worth it for everyone.
Will, at Davenport Vineyards, uses Sectormentor to manage his 23 acres of vines. He says:
“Sectormentor helps us run our business effectively. It’s a management tool for out in the field, the more data I have about what’s going on in the vineyard the better I can do my job. We use it to record things like flowers per vine which gives us an early prediction of yields. It’s simple, you just record the things you need.”
How will Sectormentor help your farm?
Help you make informed decisions:
- Have up-to-date information about your crop this year
- Use the data from this year and previous years, combined with your knowledge and experience, to make more informed decisions
- Use Sectormentor to record careful observations which allows you to catch problems early.
Build a resilient business handed down from generation to generation:
- Really learn what works and doesn't work on your farm with a good set of historical evidence
- Anyone can know exactly what happened to a crop in its lifetime
- All data collected is easy for anyone to look at and understand, unlike info in soggy notebooks
Easy and simple information gathering:
- The apps just have a few big buttons so anyone can add information easily
- RFID tags make adding information very easy
- All information is understandable and easily analysed as you determine what is recorded
How can Sectormentor help on-farm trials and research?
Sectormentor is also coming in handy as part of on-farm research and trials across groups of farms, from soil-sampling to agroforestry it can help everyone collect information and learnings that can easily be combined to help create a consistent and reliable data set, perfect to find patterns between multiple farms.
What is Sectormentor?
1. Watch this video for a quick overview of why we created Sectormentor and how it works:
Extra tip: You don't need RFID tags on every plant. e.g. Davenport Vineyards only use around 50 RFID tags for 20,000 vines.
2. What does Sectormentor provide you with?
- Very customisable setup, so you record exactly what you want
- Easily add any info in a few seconds out in the field - works with RFID tags which allow you to quickly identify a location
- Basic analysis of your data online
- Download any of your information at any time into a spreadsheet for further analysis
- Works offline, you don’t need WIFI or 3G to record data
- Requires very little training - just a few pointers and you are off
- You can record information on different scales: so row by row, or tree by tree as well as more general farm and field-level management
- Have all your records in one place
- Single entry system - greatly reduces human error and provides information you can trust
3. How does it work?
4. Note - Currently our apps are only on iPhones
We would love to have Android as well, but for now we are a team of just 3 people and we can better guarantee the quality of our app on iPhones. You can use old iPhone handsets to run the app and the whole system syncs perfectly with a PC of any sort. (We are happy to say the Android version is on the way, if you are interested in this please add your email in the Android sign up at the bottom of this page).
Case Studies - how are farmers using it?
The team at Davenport Vineyards record the pruning weights from sample vines to determine how vigorous growth is. Back in the office they use Sectormentor to look at weights, combined with bud numbers to decide if they need a second pruning, or if they should add more compost in specific areas. Good data, combined with their years of knowledge, helps ensure they do all they can to help the vines produce high quality organic grapes.
Davenport vineyards, 25 acres, East Sussex, UK
Each year after the frost a few hundred olive trees would dieback, but we didn't know if it was the same ones each year - we were paralysed to help the trees. Thanks to Sectormentor we now have 2 years of data for each tree and are using it to help us decide how to prune and care for trees on a tree-by-tree basis.
vidacycle, 8000 olive trees, Maule Valley, Chile
Will Davenport and his team have been collecting data for years but it was confined to scruffy notebooks and only typed up a few months later. Last year he used Sectormentor to record number of flowers per vine in early June, and that same day he had what turned out to be pretty accurate prediction of his yield 5 months before harvest, helping him plan and have his harvest run smoothly.
Davenport vineyards, 25 acres vines, East Sussex, UK
People already using it say...
Interested in this for your farm?
We aim to price Sectormentor so that it's fair for all size farms. Please contact us for exact prices.